Creating Waves of Awareness
A CASE OF LEUKEMIA
Dr. S. K. MAMGAIN
AWARDS & HONORS: Doorn Ratna; Garhwal Gaurav; Gold Medalist; Veteran Homoeopath and various others.
MAMGAIN HOMOEO CLINIC
218, D. L. Road, DEHRA DUN – 248 001
Hereunder I am presenting a case of Leukemia. I cannot claim this case to be of any academic value or an instructive case, yet this case shows that Homoeopathic medicines
act while allopathic treatment was being given simultaneously. And above all,
the Homoeopathic medicines were prescribed on meager symptoms without seeing
the patient even once. The result of such mixed treatment is evident (from
Annexure 1) that after the use of Homoeopathic medicines the pathology became
normal and the patient improved to a great extent.
Patient a 65 years old lady.
First consultation on 2 – 6 – 2003.
Clinical diagnosis – Leukemia, detected in December 2002.
First of all let us have a look what this disease Leukemia is? According to the Penguin Medical Encyclopedia:
Leukemia is a cancer-like disease of white blood cells. Whereas most cancer grows and spreads from a single focus, leukemia is a wide–spread affection of the bone marrow and other blood-forming tissue. The
essential disorder seems to be failure of developing white cells to mature.
Fully developed, effective white cells cannot
reproduce themselves; after a life-span of a few days or weeks they are
replaced by new cells. But leukemia cells retain the ability to multiply, and
they do not develop to a stage at which they can function as a defense against
infection. As the disease progresses, these useless immature cells displace
normal white cells and the patient is as much at the mercy of infectious
diseases as some one with no white cells at all. The abnormal activity in bone
marrow also encroaches on the formation of red blood cells and platelets, so
that the patient becomes anemic and his blood does not clot properly. Although
in some very acute cases the patient may live only a few months, it may be many
years before serious symptoms appear – in the most chronic cases, 20 years or
more. ……………… .
Complete recovery used to be reported from time to time, but it now seems likely that these were cases of glandular fever, which has many of the symptoms of leukemia
at the height of the attack, but clears up completely. Present forms of
treatment do not cure the disease. They may prolong life,………………….. .
History/symptoms as told by the son of the patient.
First time on 2 – 6 – 2003 her son came with earnest request to give some medicine for the lady. He also explained his inability to bring the patient to Dehradun
from Haldwani, a far off place, as the lady was not in a position to travel such
a long distance. And it was neither possible for the physician to go to see the
patient at Haldwani. So her son told her story as follows:
The patient was suffering from ulceration in her mouth since October 2002 and was not responding to the treatment given to her by her physician so her blood
examination was resorted to. At that time (on December 5th, 2002)
her T. L. C. was found to be 1,27,600/cmm. Now she was diagnosed as
a case of Leukemia and the proper treatment for the same was started at
Haldwani. At that time her Hb. was 10.2
gm%. Though, she responded to the treatment, but only partially. Even after
six months of treatment her T. L. C.
on May 11th, 2003 was 61,000/cmm
and the Hb. 11.8gm%. There was no
appreciable improvement in the ulcers of her mouth they were persistently
Her son told that –
· The ulcers are persistent, the old ones heal and new ones appear.
· The ulcers bleed easily – while she is eating and also from touch.
· Throbbing pain in the ulcers.
· Swelling on lower lip with ulcers on its inner side.
· Especially when swallowing food feels burning pain in her whole oesophagus.
· H. O. fall whence incurred fractures in the ribs and injuries to spine, wrists and toes. After the accident she used to
· Severe pain in both sides of the chest, scapulae and spine.
· The pain < from any motion.
· Great weakness.
· Headache often at night.
· Itching in spots over the body. Wherever she feels itching dark brown spots have formed on the skin.
· She is also suffering from hypertension.
· Unusual feeling in limbs > by hard pressure and jerking the limbs.
The T. L. C. at the commencement of Homoeopathic treatment was 67,100/cmm. It started gradually coming down except once whence it shot up (on 19 – 10 – 2003) to 1,08,000/cmm. Otherwise gradual decrease in T. L. C. continued till it came down within normal range. On 19 – 10 – 2003 the Hb. was 14.5gm%.
In the beginning I prescribed one dose of Medorrhinum 10M followed by Crotalus horridus 30 b.d.
She felt some cheerful but the trouble continued as usual.
Now, Natrum sulph. 1M was prescribed one dose after every three days. In Kent’s Repertory (Generalities) Natrum sulph is one of the first grade remedy for
leukemia. But it did not give any relief.
After 24 – 7 – 2003 Natrum mur. 1M one dose every fourth day was prescribed. Natrum mur. is one of the remedies for
ulceration of mouth. Later one dose every sixth day.
According to Allen’s Encyclopedia :-
- * Ulcerated spots in the mouth, on the gum and tongue, in which food and drink cause biting,
- Ulcerated spot on the inner surface of the lower lip, with sore burning when touched.
- * Dryness of the mouth.
- * Mouth and lips dry.
- Dryness of the palate.
- Dryness of the hard palate.
- * Persistent dryness of the mouth, especially of the tounge .
- A sore spot on the inner surface of the right cheek, with burning pain when touched by warm food.
According to Hering’s Guiding Symptoms:-
- ¤ Mouth, lips and tongue dry.
- ¤ Sore places in mouth very sensitive, even to liquids.
- ¤ Vesicles and ulcers in mouth and on tongue, smarting and burning when touched by food, stomacace.
- ¤ Aphthae on tongue, gums and cheeks, with great burning and impeded speech.
Kali chlor. 200 was also given inter-currently at long intervals.
She felt lot of improvement in all her complaints including the ulceration of mouth.
The T. L. C. on 15 – 2 – 2004 came down to 8,500/cmm. The normal range is 4,000 – 11,000/cmm.
She improved so much that she became able to travel to Dehradun and she personally visited my clinic on 25 – 2 – 2004.
In conclusion I once again admit that during whole this period the patient was taking the allopathic treatment too. But still can claim that after Homoeopathic medicines
her T. L. C. started coming down and became normal. A glance on the following
table is an evidence to the fact I have stated above.
Table showing TLC on various dates with Allopathic medicines and the Hb. (Supplied by the son of the patient)
(Homoeopathic treatment was started on 6 – 6 – 2003)